Monday, August 5, 2019

WEEK 12 : What Teens Like

This week I read the book Moxie by Jennifer Mathieu, below are 3 more popular YA novels



Book Title: The Grief Keeper by Alexandra Villasante
Grade Interest: 7-12
Publication Date: June 11, 2019
Keywords: El Salvador, immigrant,freedom, murder, asylum, family
Summary: A young girl from El Salvador dreams of what life would be like in America and end up having to flee her home under threat of death and stealing across the US border as “an illegal.”
Why I chose it: timely topic in today’s current climate


Book Title: Here we are Now by Jasmine Warga
Grade Interest: 7-9
Publication Date: 2017
Keywords: musician, rock start, paternity, family, Jordan, secrets
Summary: Taliah never knew her father until one day a rock star knocks on her door and she discovers secrets about her family and herself.
Why I chose it: NPR reviewed it as “…reminiscent of Judy Blume novels.”
Where I found it: Boston Public Library YA shelf

Book Title: Dramaby Raina Telgemeier
Grade Interest: 5-9
Publication Date: September 1, 2012
Keywords: graphic novel,middle school, singing, theater, drama, relationships
Summary: Confused about relationships and love,middle schooler Callie, navigates relationships and drama while working as part of the stage crew of her school’s play.
Why I chose it: Was the top book checked out at my middle school library for 2018-2019 school year.  For a 7-year-old graphic novel that says something!
Where I found it: My school library shelves

No comments:

Post a Comment