Friday, August 2, 2019

WEEK 11: NUTRITIOUS BOOKS/ GRAPHIC NOVELS

For class this week I read, Hey Kiddo by Jarrett Krosoczka.  Below are 3 other books to fit this week’s theme
Book Title: Ghost World by Daniel Clowes
Grade Interest: 9 and up
Publication Date: February 10, 2015
Keywords: graphic novel, best friends, coming of age, high school
Summary: coming of age graphic novel about 2 best friends navigating the world after high school. Done in black and white with a blue wash
Why I chose it: the cover intrigued me…loved that it features a realistic looking drawing of two friends.
Where I found it: Boston Public library shelf


Book Title: Glitter Kiss by Adrianne Ambrose
Grade Interest: 9-12
Publication Date: January 15, 2013
Keywords: teen girls, graphic novel, magic
Summary: A teenage girl looking for a boyfriend befriends a “witch” and evokes magic through her lip gloss and any boy who kisses her undergoes a strange fate if they aren’t loyal to her.
Why I chose it: looked different from the other graphic novels on the shelf
Where I found it: Boston Public library shelf


Book Title: They Called Us Enemy by George Takei
Grade Interest: 6-12
Publication Date: July 16, 2019
Keywords: Graphic novel, Japanese Americans, Japanese internment camps, World War II, survival.
Summary: Author and activist George Takei’s memoir of his life as a five-year-old boy in a Japanese internment camp during World War II.
Why I chose it: I saw George Takei speak at the ALA conference in DC this year and I was captivated with his story.  The artist was also at the conference which made me want to see the illustrations as well.  Would be a great book to tie in with a history lesson.
Where I found it: I first heard about it at the conference.




No comments:

Post a Comment