Sunday, July 7, 2019

WEEK 8: Teen Romance

WEEK 8: Teen Romance❤️

"I told myself it didn’t matter if I wasn’t with you. It was enough just to love you."-A Thousand Pieces of You,Claudia Gray

For class this week, I read Pride by Ibi Zoboi. Below are 3 other YA books that fall under the romance category.

Book Title: One True Way By:  Shannon Hitchcock
Grade Interest Level:  5 to 8
Publication Date:  2018
Keywords:  Friendship, LGBTQIA+, North Carolina, Divorce, Grief, Death, Gay Rights, Family, Religion, Christianity, 1970’s.
Summary:Set in the 1970’s, two middle school girls realize their feeling for each other are growing into something beyond friendship. 
Why I chose it:I read this book last year and added it to my library collection.  I wanted to broaden my experience with LGBTQIA+ books written for teens.  This one also has two parents with different views: one is accepting while the other is not which I think is a realistic scenario and makes for different and interesting points of view and leaves you with something to think about.
Where I found it: purchased it from Follett after reading an article about it in School Library Journal (SLJ)

Book Title: When Dimple Met Rishiby Sandhya Menon.
Grade Interest Level:  7-12
Publication Date:  2017
Keywords:  Arranged marriage, Romance, Dating, Family
Summary: Dimple has graduated and needs some space from her family who are pushing for an arranged marriage between her and the perfect Indian husband.
Why I chose it:Because it was rated the New York Times and National Indie bestseller.  I also haven’t read a lot of Indie books and was interested. 
Where I found it: Heard about this book from watching one of the BookTubers that was mentioned in our readings this week (Jensen, Kelly. "Eight Great YA Booktubers.”) I checked it out of my local library hoping to read it and the sequel: There’s Something about Sweetie 

Book Title: PS I like youby Kasie West
Grade Interest Level:7-10
Publication Date:2017
Keywords:  Music, Love, High School, Romance, Friendship, Mystery
Summary: High School student Lily starts a romantic pen pal relationship with a mystery boy
Why I chose it:Many of my students check out this book and ask for more Kasie West books.  I hope to read it so I can understand why they seem obsessed! 
Where I found it: At my local library

No comments:

Post a Comment